View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #37
awareness

Default Re: InChristAlone's Blog

Great response ICA. Thanks. Some comments, observations & questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChristAlone View Post
Maybe it’s bleak but if it’s reality, then that’s why Jesus came to the earth. This is one of the differences between Christianity and other religions. Christians believe that mankind was created specifically to have a relationship with God, but sin separates all men from Him.
Actually, isn't God pretty forgiving of sin, if we have a heart for Him? Consider David ... for just one example ... or King Manasseh, for an extreme example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
We are incapable of standing up to a holy and righteous God because our human condition is in a fallen state and in need of a Savior.
So that's why when Christian missionaries bring the good news to the primitives the first thing they need to bring is the bad news, that, they are fallen. Seems counter-intuitive, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
Other religions just say that we are not fallen but weak or they don’t even recognize the reality of the “sin” defect in every human being.
And some moderns say that, we're just human primates ... and so we can't help it -- what do you expect from animals? -- And that we've evolved pretty damn good, from our more primitive days. Of course that's debatable. Whatever. The world looks pretty damn crazy to me ... including the Christians ... even born-againers. There's no doubt we're in bad need of somekind of divine intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
Followers of other religions don’t know anything about a loving God and his Son Jesus Christ who died for us so that all who choose to accept His forgiveness for their sins may be forgiven and have a personal relationship with Jesus throughout their life and spend eternity with God when they die. No one of other religions doesn't give believers that privilege. They only get the hope that their god will be pleased with them and the hope that a better place awaits them when they die.
You paint with a very broad brush. Sounds like Lee to me, concerning Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
Anyway, I believe the EO view of humanity is less bleak than that one in the RCC or in some Protestant churches.
I prefer Original Blessings. It's the least bleak. A RCC priest -- Matthew Fox -- wrote a book on it, by that title ... well a ex-priest ... he got the boot for not embracing original sin. They basically thought that, if you take away original sin, then there's no need for salvation. That's why when raised in the Southern Baptist, I had to be indoctrinated that I was fallen. They believe in original sin too. A concept born in the 2nd century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
The Eastern Orthodox Church accepts the concept of the fall but rejects the idea that the guilt of original sin is passed down through generations. It bases its teaching in part on Ezekiel 18:20 that says a son is not guilty of the sins of his father. The Church teaches that, in addition to their conscience and tendency to do good, men and women are born with a tendency to sin due to the fallen condition of the world.
This sounds a whole lot like : We're not fallen. We've developed a fallen system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
It follows Maximus the Confessor and others in characterizing the change in human nature as the introduction of a "deliberative will" in opposition to the "natural will" created by God which tends toward the good. Thus, according to St Paul in his epistle to the Romans, non-Christians can still act according to their conscience.
Just how was this "deliberative will" instilled into you and I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
Orthodoxy believes that, while everyone bears the consequences of the first sin (that is, death),
But isn't it a good thing that we die? and each generation dies? We're already crowding this plant. Can you imagine if all generations never died? We be standing shoulder to shoulder, and stacked up to the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICA
As for genetics, the EOC is not really interested in modern science,
So EO is still hanging onto ancient teachings and practices of the Bronze and Iron age? Not my cup of tea. All the early Christians, in fact all the world, back then, were absent of science. It's not possible, in these modern days of science, to live like they lived back then. We're literate. While 90% back then were completely illiterate. Ya can't be on the web and deny science.