View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #331
aron

Default Re: Perfection, and the Word of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
WL used the argument of sin to dismiss the very writings of scripture, saying that since David sinned (Bathsheba, etc), he was disqualified to write of obedience to God's will, and of righteousness...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Is that true?

Not that I heard every message by Lee, but I never heard that Lee disqualified David due to his sin.
Quote:
RecV Psalm 1:1 footnote "The Psalms were written according to two kinds of concepts: the human concept of the holy writers and the divine concept of God...

Psalm 1:2 footnote "In the book of Psalms, as in the entire Bible, there are two lines: the line of the tree of life, the line of life, and the line of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, the line of death...
Quote:
Psalm 3:1, 4:1, and 4:4 footnotes decry David's "self-righteousness according to his human concept and for his personal interest", noting his failure in having Uriah murdered and taking his wife Bathsheba.

Psalm 9:3 footnote says "David's concept... is based on the principle of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Nothing in these psalms [9-14] is related to God's economy, to God's interest, to God's kingdom, or to God's plan. Everything is concerning David's personal benefit, personal interest, personal safety, and personal peace. The NT believers... should not take David here as a model."
And so forth. What interests me here is the NT account contrasting with WL's teaching: for example Peter, in referencing the Psalms when he spoke to the crowd in Acts 2, didn't chastise David for his selfishness and self-seeking but rather said that David was a prophet predicting his promised seed who was to follow.

So when David said "You will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay", Peter didn't say that David is being selfish, nor hypocritical in appearing 'faithful'; rather David's psalm is indicating the coming faithful Holy seed who will fulfill his prophecy.

Somehow this option never occured to WL when going through the Psalms, even though the pattern of interpretation was laid out repeatedly in the NT. Instead WL focused on the fact that David was a sinful failure and a hypocrite, and often was writing according to his self-righteous, fleshly concepts.

But the Bible is not about David's concepts: it is about Jesus Christ. Yes, David failed; so did Abraham, and Jacob, Peter and John, Martin Luther, WN and all the rest of us. But in the midst of OUR failure the Bible reveals Jesus Christ our Savior, coming and pleasing the Father, and in His faithful obedience opening the door of salvation to us all, we who believe into Him and follow and obey Him. This is whom we testify; not David.

Yes, salvation comes even to David. Remember that David saw Jesus in spirit, declaring, "The LORD [the Father] said to my lord [Jesus the coming Christ] come and sit at my right hand until I put all your enemies at your feet." Peter, and Jesus, among other NT sources (Paul, the epistle to the Hebrews, etc) said that David knew of the promised seed who was coming after him, and whose kingdom would not fail.

I think that to get stuck on David's failures, and dismiss the bulk of his writings unless forced to acknowledge them by NT citations, is to miss the point of the story. The Psalms are not about David's sin nor his fallen concepts. The Psalms were written concerning Christ. WL disagrees and says they don't offer us a spiritual model. I say these writings point to Christ. Like the writer put it in Hebrews 2:9: we can read the scripture and then "we see Jesus."