View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #334
NeitherFirstnorLast

Default Re: The God-Men: An Inquiry into Witness Lee & the Local Church

Chapter 5 Cont'd: Loyalty Mechanisms - Phase One

The God-Men, page 117

"A useful schema (model) for describing loyalty-producing mechanisms divides the process of commitment into two phases: an investment-divestment stage and a burial-resurrection stage (Rosabeth Moss Kanter, "Commitment and Community" pg 165-191).

In the first stage, a new lifestyle is created by investmenting one's time, talents, and money in a group while concurrently divesting oneself from one's former fashion of life, friends, and interests. The second stage focuses on the psychological dimensions of loyalty, as the the individuals goals and identity are immersed in and subsumed by group goals and identity. The stages often overlap, producing a fluid, natural movement to ever-deepening levels of commitment.

According to Max Rapoport, who once managed the national training sessions for Local Church leaders, the loyalty mechanisms used by most Local Church congregations follow that general pattern. Other ex-Local Church members agree."

There are some excellent references provided by Duddy here, to books written by respected psychologists and sociologists on the nature of groups similar to the LC, and how they work on the minds and hearts of the individuals they take as members. I would particularly recommend them to those among us still struggling to come to grips with what happened to them in the LC. I believe that the fact that these books are written about groups other than the LC will make what they have to say more palatable; to those who still hold their experiences and time in the LC so near and dear. Perhaps this treatment of the subject, being more gentle, will allow them to see things that they might otherwise close their eyes to.

With that said I have provided some links (embedded below), for those who wish to read further. These are free copies available on-line, with references and citations. I particularly recommend the first, as the similarities between this group and our own is rather striking.

"Becoming a World-Saver"
"Commitment and Community"
NeitherFirstnorLast is offline   Reply With Quote