View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #157
aron

Default Re: Eating & Drinking Jesus Daily - who emphasizes this besides the LC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo S View Post
This is an example of what faulty hermeneutics do.. it allows for subjective interpretation of the text and as a result of that, conclusions that are out of line with the actually context of what's being spoken.

Here's what I see; in the LC's you are taught strong emphasis on the spiritual experience but sorely lack proper biblical interpretative skills. Because of what I see as Nee's and Lee's spiritual pride and prejudices toward the rest of Christendom, they also rejected the more scholarly approach to understanding scripture which the majority of mainstream Christianity adheres to called exegesis. As such, they adopted the more subjective method of interpreting scripture, eisegesis.

I understand that many Christians focus too much on study rather than experience, but the typical LC member focuses too heavily on experience. Having too strong of an emphasis on the spiritual can and will lead to false spirituality, aka mysticism. Being properly grounded in scripture with a more disciplined approach to studying the text helps prevent that from happening. However, going to either extreme means missing the mark. One side eventually becomes like an Ephesus (forgetting the joy they once had in Christ) and the other a Laodicea (claiming they have all the spiritual riches yet remain spiritually blind to the Holy Spirit).

I'm by no means a scholar but I would recommend you guys do exactly what member byHismercy is actively trying to do while studying scriptures; forget everything you were taught in the LC's and start with a fresh new outlook viewing the text through an exegetical lens. I too used to be "experience heavy" early on in my walk. Studying basic hermeneutics has helped me tremendously in approaching scripture properly.
Psalm 53:4 “Have the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread: they have not called upon God.” (KJV)

Here we see "eating people as they eat bread". This doesn't reference cannibalism that I can see but "eating" rather as a metaphor for unrighteously acquisitive behaviour. Actually, any behaviour can be "eating". Yes, including prayer, and including reading the word, and including calling on God, as the verse concludes. But to presume that "eating Jesus" is some particular kind of repetitive verbal exercise is unwarranted, for two reasons. First, the participant becomes open to suggestive spirits, not all of whom have God's will close at hand. The participant then may become led by all sorts of misleading winds. I look back at the LC, at the constant "exercise your spirit" stress and the subsequent craziness that was not only tolerated but promoted, and I suspect they were linked. Forced mindlessness allowed absorbing, or "eating" stuff that was not from God. Instead of "test all things" it became "get out of your mind", and Pray-reading was one of the primary ways to get out of your discerning mind.

Second, the "eating" in scriptures is allied with some kind of continual habit or activity. In the case of Psalm 53 that activity is unrighteous and in disobedience to God's commands. In John 4:34, Jesus' statement that "my food is to do the will of God" shows that the activity or food is to continually obey God's commands. Note how Jesus keeps saying that he does God's expressed will, and manifests the Father, and that our "food" is to believe this. Again, telling us to be a doer of the word and not merely a hearer of the word means that it's behaviour that matters, rather than mouthing words.

And the proof's in the pudding. Witness Lee, who stressed pray-reading as "eating God" and crucial to one's personal "intrinsic metabolic transformation", himself could not avoid every appearance of evil - see Philip Lee, Daystar, Jane Anderson, John Ingalls, &c - whilst Jesus who didn't even mention pray-reading was the spotless Lamb of God.