View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #42
Evangelical

Default Re: Plumb the depths of Adoption

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
First of all Mr E, why do you use "In Christianity" as such a negative epithet? YOU ARE "In Christianity". No? Are you in Judaism? Are you in Islam? Are you in Buddhism or Hinduism? You are in a very small, insignificant sect of Christianity. Actually, Witness Lee's followers should be happy to be considered as "in Christianity" (this is how your benefactor Hank Hanegraaff et al categorized the Local Church of Witness Lee) The alternative categories that really describe the Local Church are not as pretty, trust me.
That's an interesting perspective, to put forward the idea that being part of a religion called Christianity carries some sort of benefits because the alternatives are worse. Many believers might disagree with you that they are in a religion called Christianity, not just local church believers.

Quote:
What is terribly confusing is Witness Lee's teachings regarding "adoption". As par for the course for him, Lee was decidedly ignorant and desperately ill-informed about what is and what is not generally taught "in Christianity". And now Witness' followers continue on with the ignorance. What orthodox, evangelical church have you personally witnessed someone teaching or even saying out loud "my heavenly Father is not my real Father, only my adoptive Father"? You have never heard any such thing. This was a figment of Witness Lee's bizarre imagination. You are clueless my friend.
So you can honestly state that a person who thinks they are "merely adopted" also thinks that God is truly their Father? That does not make sense. It follows that however we see ourselves affects how we see the Father. Those who think they are adopted see the Father as an adoptive father - they must. Maybe orthodox evangelicals are more enlightened than the rest - but remember that the majority of Christianity is Catholicism which believes that a person becomes an adopted son of God at Baptism.

Quote:
What the Local Church of Witness Lee is telling them is that they "are becoming God in life and nature". What the Local Church of Witness Lee is telling them is that they can become "baby Gods". (they also are to become "Witness Lee tape recorders"...but that's for a different thread) So only the Local Church is teaching that "they are actually sons of God"? Do you really believe that Mr. E? You can't possibly be that ignorant. No way.
-
There are very few, teaching that we are actually sons of God, because that would invoke cries of blasphemy and "only Jesus is God's actual son" all around. Just look at the reaction on this thread, and people here are already somewhat enlightened.

Or do we seriously think that every Christian out there and pastor in church has a full understanding of what it means to be adopted under ancient Roman Law? I doubt it. They are just happy to be a second class citizen in God's kingdom, an adopted son because of the real Son Jesus. Not realizing that adoption speaks of their future inheritance, not how they became God's son.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote