View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #95
awareness

Default Re: Examining LSM's Eschatology - Revelation's 7 Churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
In regard to their teachings, in this case about Rev 2 and 3, I think they have laid out a compelling case for the prophetic nature of these churches.. and it did not originate with them but they had the gift to explain it.
Stop and think for a minute bro Cassidy. I brought up the first notion of the historical progression of the 7 churches was coined by Victorinus back around circa 280A.D. Do you think his historical progression conception back then would resemble those holding to a historical progression today? Our progression today wouldn't have a clue how his historical development applied to the churches in his history of them. And in a hundred years anyone holding to a historical progression will be completely different than today.

So the historical progression conception is very subjective. That's why I say the theory shouldn't be taken as authoritative.

And yes, the book of Revelation was written to those back in the 1st c. How do you think they interpreted the book? It wouldn't be anything like we interpret it today. The whore, the beast, the heads, and all of the symbols in Rev. they would have applied to their day ... and would have been closer to what the book really meant than we could ever hope to be. And ... They would have considered that it meant what it says:

Rev_1:1 The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place.
Rev_22:6 And he said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place."
Rev_22:7 "And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book."
Rev_22:12 "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay everyone for what he has done.
Rev_22:20 He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon."

And as far as Paul's letters, read them literally:

Rom 1:7 To all that be in Rome
1Co 1:2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth,
2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth
Gal 1:2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia

So forth and so on ...