View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 03:13 AM   #33
aron

Default Re: My experience as a church kid: Why I want out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
Thank you. I understand the "Church" is not just our Western (Protestant?) conception of a building with a pastor. The Church is the society of believers. In that sense the LC is almost right, but goes wrong when linking the Church as society to the Church as LC. But it's exactly this I don't have. I know somewhere Paul or someone else says we should not forsake meeting with other believers.

I mean my mother is a Christian. So is my two best friends. But they are not as dedicated. It's almost as though Christ doesn't matter to them. And yet at times he does. One of these friends remind me of the seed thrown in shallow soil. A fare-weather believer in that while things go good he doesn't read the Bible, watch videos on Christian stuff or listen to Christian music or any of this, but the moment things get tough his faith is weakened (though not entirely).

But not to bash my friend, my point is that I don't have someone close who is actually committed. I know in Church (in the physical sense) I will at least be among believers who at least care enough to get together, if you know what I mean?

Another friend who I know really is committed, lives quite a distance away. But your suggestion is so obvious: just pray.
My impression is that a chief problem of Protestant and post-Protestant thought-worlds is not seeing how far removed we are from our Father, post-fall, and what a provision we have to return home. God sees us as distasteful odious creatures because of sin. Yes, we're redeemed and restored, but we still sin. And the way home is through the sinners and failures nearby - our proverbial "neighbour". To show love through our actions (and inaction if they are provocative) is our opportunity to show, really, what spirit we are of.

A Christian, while yet in this flesh of sin, may presume for themself a pride of place not yet given by God. Both the disciples' decisions to choose others to do the menial tasks of waiting on tables, and Paul's decision to set up a hierarchy on earth(!) of apostles, prophets, and teachers are fraught with peril in this light (I'm not saying wrong, but perilous). There's indeed a celestial hierarchy, but on earth we should presume nothing, except "to think of each other as greater than yourself". If you see someone in need, come alongside and show God's love by helping them. If you see someone doing a good work, come alongside and "amen" them.

Jesus established his ministry among the blind, the poor, and even the dead (cf "the dead are raised" as a qualifying gospel act). Our place is confirmed by firstly our good works.

Then this place is permanently established at the Bema, and not a moment before. God confirmed Jesus as Messiah by two things - first the works which he did, and the by the resurrection from the dead. We are still in the first stage of The Way. Never presume the second.

When the crowds saw the works of Jesus, they tried to seize him and make him king. He rightly demurred, as that was the Father's aegis alone. When BP and EM and MP and RG tried to seize WL and make him apostle, even 'the' apostle, he accepted, which was clearly an error of the first rank. Such decisions are made by God alone. To call someone a "spiritual giant" in this vein shows that one doesn't understand the first thing about the gospel. God will shame the presumptuous on that day, and send them down.

On a similar note, elders cannot resign. There are elders who serve and elders who don't (1 Tim 5:17). Likewise, there are young ones who labour and those who don't. In your current circumstances are hidden opportunities to serve. Just find someone who lacks, and help them. This will demonstrate to the principalities and powers that you are in fact a child of the light, on your way home to the Father. And if the Master finds you so doing, when he returns, you'll be blessed indeed.

But don't presume anything until that day.