View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #44
aron

Default Re: 'Ground of the Church'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Original "church in Toronto" is here. They claim to be "THE church in Toronto." Not sure of their affiliation.

IIRC, "The Church of the Torontonians" was taken back in the early 70's. That church now has the website here. They have become a truly "local" church, a community church, no longer attached to headquarters in either Anaheim or Cleveland. I would consider them one of the healthiest LC spin-offs. Nigel Tomes, who has written a number of articles on this forum, is there.

After the recent division, the LSMers took the name "the local church in Toronto." Note that their website, their sign, and their legal names don't necessarily have to coincide. They are nothing more than an LSM franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
The Church in Sydney, whichever its version (affiliation), is no more a local church than the Parish of the Lady of Our Way in North Sydney or St. Peter's Presbyterian Church. And if you look at the demographic that it appeals to, and fronts, it's perhaps less a reflection of the local populace than they are. So why call it a local church? (Besides that this is its only reason to exist, of course)
The LC apologist says, "It is not a name, but a description". But that is fantasy. The term "local church" is not in any way a description of the assembled group. With them, non-local affiliation (Titus Chu, Blendeds, DYL) is paramount to identity and culture. Without this affiliation they simply don't know who they are.

But TC probably doesn't care if the Church in Sydney is 90% Chinese and quite non-reflective of the local population that it supposedly represents, as long as it's 100% submissive to his non-local ministry.

And I've no problems with the Chinese. Their culture is arguably more ancient and venerable than mine (European). I wish as well for all to be saved and come to a full knowledge of the truth. But joining a variant of the Chinese Church of Witness Lee is not the way. Jesus Christ is the way.