View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #578
Evangelical

Default Re: Lee's Teaching on Marriage Rights and Sexuality

Quote:
Originally Posted by testallthings View Post
Evangelical, You are assuming we accept Lee's equation about Sodom and the U.S.A. As you have noticed on this forum we don't blindly believe something because brother Lee said so. I personally don't have any problems acknowledging he was right about a particular teaching providing enough evidence. First things first, can you provide a quotation or a link to what you affirm in your initial statement?
I provided reference to his quotations in a (much) earlier post:
In Life Study of Genesis, page 1249, Lee says it is a shame that governments want to legalize homosexuality, to do so would be to turn the country into Sodom. In chapter 53 Lee states that in Sodom marriage had become completely degraded. In reference to today being the times of Noah, he states that Christians have become doped. In chapter 96 Lee states that the USA, Sweden and France is a Sodom and that God hates it.

I understand this to mean not because the majority of people in those countries are practicing homosexuals, but because those countries believe it is okay. Lee often tries to get at the heart or spirit of the matter. It may be true as you say that in a practical sense, the USA is not like Sodom at all. But in a spiritual sense, it is more like Sodom than not. In the old testament God seemed to judge cities based on their actions. Now I believe he judges based upon their belief. Now, God judges the heart and spirit of the matter that is the root cause of the sinful actions.

I think we could proceed with a discussion about whether God judges a city because of its heart and belief, or because of its actions alone? (ignoring for a moment, that legalizing redefinition of marriage is itself a sinful action). If it is actions alone, then USA is not a Sodom, for the reasons you stated. But if it is the heart and belief of the nation that God considers, then I believe Lee is right, USA (and other countries) is Sodom.

A heart that is on the one hand for God, and on the other hand is for homosexuality and gay marriage, is not a pure heart.

Now some biblical support that God cares about the heart of the nation:
1 Samuel 16:7 "People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
Romans 12:9 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote