View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #1293
zeek

Default Re: The Problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
Okay, how am I gonna get out of this hole?

Concerning how the idea of "The Chosen" and "The Elect" is evil, I think that it's obvious to anyone that's able to step back from their tribalistic nature and give it some thought, that, it results in evil for the non-chosen and non-elect. Of course to those that can't see past their tribalism, the non-chosen and the non-elect deserve it. I guess it's not evil if they deserve it.

Concerning the possibility of "the greater good" I don't see how the authors of the Torah making up the story of taking the promised land has produced a greater good today, given what's going on in the middle east. In fact, it's causing a problem of evil.

This may be considered as a dodge and weave, but it's actually bringing the POE down from the abstract to a reality happening in the world today.

On the other hand I could be filling in for our brother ZNP while he's come down to earth.
But, you present uncharitable views of both Judaism and Christianity. I feel certain that, on a good day, you could marshal a far more favorable defense of the Biblical theodicy yourself.

Let me try to help. If, as Paul said in Romans 3:23 "...all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" , God, in his infinite grace, offers salvation to all. Nothing tribal about that. It's an offer of free access to all.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote