View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #1273
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: The Problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
That's false. I have proposed that two different authors attribute the same act to two different free moral agents, the Lord and Satan.
Sorry if I am confused. You are saying the two different authors attribute the same act to two different free moral agents. So then you are not claiming that the Bible switched Satan for the Lord in this account in Chronicles? Nor are you asserting that this is the implication of "the same act" being attributed to two free moral agents?

If not then perhaps your view and my view and the view of several major Bible commentators is not that different. I am saying that the Lord "incited" David and that Satan "incited" David. The Lord was responding to the insult of David giving credit for the Lord's answered prayers to the flesh. The other was Satan trying to push David to sin.

I don't agree that the two authors were referring to the same act, but rather that Samuel focused on the Lord's work to change the age, whereas Chronicles focused on Man's obedience and / or failures. So although both were writing about David's numbering the people, the Lord's inciting of David was not the same act as Satan's inciting David. The Lord wanted David to repent for giving credit to the flesh and Satan wanted David to sin.