View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #282
Ohio

Default Re: What is God's Economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
One is that God first came to make his presence known to me while I was reading God’s Economy by Witness Lee. And at the time He made clear to me that He wanted me to read that book. The experience was so moving that even to this day it is clear that my calling as a Christian is related to this term “God’s Economy”.
In and of itself, Lee's book is not bad, and actually has many good points. Like many ministers, Lee made numerous inferences. They become problematic when taken to the extreme. Having spent some time in a Pentecostal-Lite congregation, I see the same problems there. To some zealots, every mention of "spirit" is an exhortation to speak in tongues.

As I have said before, the Bible alone is balanced. All commentaries are skewed. Sure they can be helpful, just as long as they are not your only source. Lee had a structured accounting mind, and he saw everything in structured columns. Thus Satan must be the tree of knowledge now occupying our flesh, and so forth.

This is how I eventually viewed God's economy. In our human economy money is everything, the medium by which all exchanges are made. We work for money so we can spent our money. All we do, and every part of our life, is fueled by money in some way. Likewise God's Economy is the grace of Christ. Everything in our Christian life is fueled by His grace in our lives. His grace is our fellowship with one another, our love for others, our spiritual supply when exhausted, our wisdom when confused, our encouragement during failures, our gospel to others, etc.

I know this analogy might sound bad, but it worked for me. Perhaps it was no more than a survival technique or a coping mechanism during all of those messages I had to sit thru on God's Economy.