View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #235
Evangelical

Default Re: How many people have heard of LSM/Lee/Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by A little brother View Post
1 Cor 9:21 To those without law, as without law (though I am not without law to God but within law to Christ), that I might gain those without law.

Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant which I will covenant with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will impart My laws into their mind, and on their hearts I will inscribe them; and I will be God to them, and they will be a people to Me.

Rom 13:8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves the other has fulfilled the law.

Rom 13:10 Love does not work evil to his neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Gal 5:13-14 For you were called for freedom, brothers; only do not turn this freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Gal 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ completely.

Phi 4:13 I am able to do all things in Him who empowers me.

1 John 3:9 Everyone who has been begotten of God does not practice sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been begotten of God.

Mat 7:21 Not every one who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but he who does the will of My Father who is in the heavens.

1 John 2:3-4 And in this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, I know Him, and does not keep His commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in this one;

2 Pet 2:21-22 For it would be better for them not to have known the way of righteousness than, knowing it, to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. It has happened to them according to the true proverb: The dog has turned to its own vomit, and the washed sow to wallowing in the mud.

2 Cor 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound unto you, that, in everything always having all sufficiency, you may abound unto every good work;

Col 1:10 To walk worthily of the Lord to please Him in all things, bearing fruit in every good work and growing by the full knowledge of God,

1 Thes 4:1 Furthermore, brothers, we ask and exhort you in the Lord Jesus that even as you received from us how you ought to walk and please God, even as indeed you do walk, that you abound still more.

2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, That the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work.

You wrote previously:

Put it this way, I think there are two types of keeping the law:

(1) we keep the law by the flesh through efforts in order to gain righteousness ("a good show")
(2) we keep the law by the heart through efforts because God is right, we love Him and want to please Him.

God does not want (1). But I believe He wants (2), and (2) is achievable when we live Christ.

There is a difference between fulfill the law and keeping it. Note how many verses you quoted say fulfill the law. Sometimes Christians say "keep the law" but this is normally understood in the context of Christ fulfilling it on our behalf.

See what Piper says about being free from law-keeping for justification OR sanctification:

When the fulfilling of the Law it is called the “law of liberty” it means that as Christians we pursue love in liberty from law-keeping as the ground of our justification or the power of our sanctification.

https://www.desiringgod.org/messages...n-romans-8-3-4

As I mentioned before, some Christians think they need to keep the law to be sanctified. But the truth of the bible is that the law is fulfilled in Christ.

Here Piper writes how any effort to keep the law is a transgression of the law itself:

The effort to keep the law as a means of obliging God or man to bless you is a transgression of the law itself (2:18), and it brings a person under the law's curse (3:10). So the Judaizers are wrong to teach the Galatian Christians to supplement their faith with works of the law, and Paul is bending all his efforts in this book to cure Christians of such deadly legalism.

https://www.desiringgod.org/messages...ul-the-promise

Keeping the law through efforts as you wrote, is contrary to what Piper taught.

Now let's compare what Piper wrote with Micah:

Micah 6:8 He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

In Micah 6:8 the word "require" is a strong word.

MacLaren commentary says

The Prophet read off rightly God’s requirements, but he had not anything to say about God’s gifts. So his word is a half-truth, and the more clearly it is seen, and the more earnestly a man tries to live up to the standard of the requirements laid down here, the more will he feel that there is something else needed, and the more will he see that the great central peculiarity and glory of Christianity is not that it reiterates or alters God’s requirements, but that it brings into view God’s gifts. ‘To do justly, to love mercy, to walk humbly with our God,’ is possible only through repentance towards God, and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote