View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #114
Evangelical

Default Re: Ron Kangas Message

I am saying they did not receive any heavenly vision about the gospel or high-calling like Paul did. I wasn't meaning that Paul was the only person ever ever who had a vision. Just having a vision, is not what is meant by "heavenly vision".

The "heavenly vision" refers to Acts 26:13 - 18

In verse 17-18 we see God gave Paul a specific mission:

I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'

The transfiguration of Christ, as miraculous as it was, did not give Peter and John any mission/purpose. Not long after Peter was denying Christ three times. There is also no indication that Peter received subsequent vision like Paul received.

Consider this: Gal 1:11-12

I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin.

I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

Barne's notes on this says:

But by the revelation of Jesus Christ - On his way to Damascus, and subsequently in the temple, Acts 22:17-21. Doubtless, he received communications at various times from the Lord Jesus with regard to the nature of the gospel and his duty. The sense here is, that he was not indebted to people for his knowledge of the gospel, but had derived it entirely from the Saviour.

Paul's heavenly vision was not only his conversion experience but also gave Paul his purpose and mission.

We can see that this mission that God gave Paul, was unlike any given to the 12 disciples. For that reason, Paul's writings comprise much of the New Testament, and as Drake mentioned before, even Peter considered Paul's writings as Scripture.

So God gave Paul the Vision, and that makes Paul the Minister of the Age.

If anyone wants to contend that Peter, James or John were also Ministers of the Age, then please present your case from the Bible where they received a heavenly vision like Paul received.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote