View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #24
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: Lee and LC: Home Runs and Strikeouts

Since I'm kind of a baseball nut, I'll continue on with the baseball metaphor, although with a different take.

Firstly, I would only consider the Scriptures themselves as a "home run". And, at the risk of being called out trying to stretch a single into a double, I would even say that only the direct words spoken by God - in the Old Testament Yahwey (Jehovah) I Am Who I Am, Elohim, Adonai (Lord), Father - in the New Testament the teachings, sayings, admonitions, warnings, declarations and prophesies of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, should all be considered as a 750ft, game winning, walk-off Grand Slam. Maybe the balance of the Scriptures, including the Gospel narration, the Acts of the apostles and the epistles of the apostles could be considered as good ole fashioned, over-the-wall home runs. (for the risk of using a metaphor to describe a metaphor, I'll just leave Revelation out of this game for now)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the teachings and commentaries of post-canonical men and women are "not even in the same ballpark" as the Holy Scriptures. And I include the writings of the earliest "Church fathers" in this category. (and you can throw in any of the post-canonical creeds, confessions and any other ecclesiastical declarations as well)

So, maybe if one wants to keep up with the baseball metaphor we can simply agree that we are talking about the same game, but a completely different league Furthermore, any hit in this league is subject to review and being overturned by the Head Umpire up in the Booth.

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote