Thread: Outer Darkness?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #132
Drake

Default Re: Outer Darkness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
That's actually not a bad passage to support the contention of time in outer darkness! As you said, it also allows for some variability with the length of time (not just 1000 years).

So someone builds with all six things in 1st Corinthians 3 (wood, hay, stubble, gold, silver, precious stone), as I suspect will be the case with most all of us. The building work is tested by fire. I suspect most all of us will suffer some loss with burnable things we've built with. Is there some percentage point of works that are burned (compared to the total) when we then wind-up going into the outer darkness, like 25%, 50%, 75% or what?

He does tell the two faithful servants in Matthew 25 that they were "faithful in a few things, enter into the joy of Your Lord."

My point is we often think we have to be "Faith SuperSaints" in order to get the reward and not go to outer darkness. (Accordingly, what about Sampson who messed up a lot, yet ended his life well and got mentioned in the Hebrews 11 faithful list?)
StG,

Your POV is not far from mine on this topic.

However, the bar was high in some situations... to those in Smyrna the criterion for an overcomer was:

"Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

Though becoming an overcomer may not mean we are tested unto death... yet, we have to overcome the situation we are presented with. Peter was eventually crucified but John died isolated on Patmos at ripe old age. Perhaps others lived a full life and died in old age. Some were martyred young like Blandina of Lyons. They had their own situations to overcome.

Yet, for whatever situation we are in He is faithful to provide grace to overcome. He also will fairly and righteously judge our response to His grace given. He told Paul "My grace is sufficient". He does not wink at a slothful servant.... we know He is strict with His own but He is also generous to those that are faithful with what they are given. I believe the time out in outer darkness is measured because He is measured in His judgments. What is the payment of the 'last farthing"? He knows us and we can trust His judgment. We have faith in His righteousness. He is also severe to His enemies, will slay them, give them to destruction, and many will perish in unbelief.

Drake
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote