View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #32
InChristAlone

Default Re: InChristAlone's Blog

Awareness, I have your original question, so I will reply it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
So does the EO see the fall as Adam and Eve introducing evil into their DNA? So therefore must be passed on down to us thru genetics? So that OUR human genetics was modified by introduction of evil into it?

I didn't eat the fruit of evil ... yet according to this exposition I have it ... so I must have gotten it thru fallen human DNA. Right?
I am afraid, I can't give you a clear answer. The Church Fathers knew nothing about genetics so they did not operate with such terms like "DNA." They focused more on the consequences and solutions than on the process itself. Besides, it is not required that one have a thorough knowledge of exactly how the transmission of original sin works in order to be saved. The Bible is not a science textbook, but the divinely inspired Word of God and God's self-revelation to the human race. The Bible's prime purpose concerns salvation, not scientific explanation. Science textbooks may contain both known facts and speculative theory, but they are not infallible. So we try not to build an unnecessary and artificial wall between science and the Christian faith. Rather, we understand honest scientific investigation as a potential encouragement to faith, for all truth is from God. Genetics is relatively new science. It’s less than 200 years old. And there is a chance that there will be other scientific discoveries and other branch of science that will try to answer the same questions. But the real answers can always remain a mystery for us.