View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
TLFisher

Default Re: My Confused Adulthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Growing up, I was always fairly active in the LC – I attended most meetings, went to a lot of the conferences/trainings, etc. I think that I always wanted to try to win the approval of the elders.
I think that's normal behavior. Problem is if one is an introvert, you'll always be like paint on a wall. Just part of the background. Elder or not; trying to gain approval is feeble. Personal experience.
when you're on the verge of going into your senior year of high school, which tests to prepare for ASVAB or SAT? Not meaning to be harsh, but depending on a parent's role with their children, serving ones can intended or unintentionally usurp the parent's role in providing guidance for the high school senior.
How if they don't want to go to college immediately and go into the armed services? Serving ones will try to steer them away from this decision. It's not practical. It's not conducive for the church-life.
Then you have which college to attend. You'll be steered towards one that's near a locality or has a campus work, The major you select, you'll be advised of one that is practical for the church-life.
All this manipulating of choices can lead to a confused adulthood. Instead of deciding for yourself, a pattern is created of "I need the brother's fellowship".
Needing the brother's agreement in order to make a decision. Is it any wonder of social dysfunction of young people in the local churches. Relying on others instead of thinking for yourself. Deciding for yourself.