View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #132
Cal

Default Re: Double Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
I would use the N.T. to describe man's destiny, specifically the destiny of God's children. For example, I John 3.2 says, "It has not yet been manifested what we will be ... we shall be like him, for we shall see Him as He is." We also know that we shall become glorified sons of God, conformed to the image of His Firstborn Son. (Romans 8.29-30)

As far as being "made god," I reject it for several reasons. Firstly, because the Bible does not specifically say it, and it had ample opportunity to do so, either thru Paul, Peter, or John. We do become real sons of God partaking of His divine nature, but do not "become god in life and nature." Isn't that enough anyway? Aren't the plain words of scripture enough to satisfy you?"

Secondly, the rest of the body of Christ has not embraced this either. An obscure translated phrase from Athanasius in the early part of the 4th century is not adequate, to the greater body of Christ, to rise to the level of the canon.

Thirdly, this so-called "high peak" expression was introduced to the Recovery by Witness Lee following a pathetic coverup of unrighteous activities at LSM. It is highly unlikely to me (and to many others) that God would "recover" such a long-lost "truth" at a time when Witness Lee and his son Phillip should have been repenting to the churches for all the damage they had wrought throughout the era of the "new way."

Fourthly, the saying has never produced good fruit, rather many of its adherents have exhibited a boastful arrogance, contrary to God's nature, and has brought shame to the Lord's name. Instead of benefiting the children of God, Laodicea has resulted. A generation of young people have been taught to judge their brethren outside the Recovery for not knowing this great "truth."

Fifthly, this phrase connects its supporters to other aberrant cults and damages the simple message of the good news of the cross of Christ. Instead of dropping this extra-biblical expression, which only serves to divide His body, LSM has been forced to litigate other ministries in a failed attempt to save face.

Very well written and presented. I agree. You saved me some writing.

Stated simply, saying "man becomes God" is THE mouthful for the ages. Given that the Bible keeps its mouth shut about it, it's wise we do also.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote