Thread: OBW's Blog
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #26
OBW

Default Re: OBW's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP0534 View Post
Yes, and the Southern Baptists preach from the Bible and are not that kind of suicide cult and their not being a suicide cult doesn't make everything OK with the Southern Baptists.

I can state the same kind of obviousness but it doesn't mean anything other than the implications that must be intended.

To me, the Local Church looks like the Southern Baptists in their use of the Bible.

But even Jim Jones used the Bible so the Southern Baptists don't have a "get out of jail free" card either on that account.

Unless you mean that the Southern Baptists are a cult!

Yeah, I guess Jim Jones did it too, but I'm not sure why that's relevant.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was trying to say that having some truth and correct teachings does not make everything OK. And having some errors in teaching and or practice does not make everything in error. Those probably are too obvious. But too often people like the one who started that thread on the Bereans say things like "I read the Bible, pray, sing, and fellowship" and therefore nothing can be considered wrong or worthy of discussion.

As I said, it is the false dichotomy. I was not intending to suggest that any of these were cults. Despite the fact that probably everyone would agree concerning Jim Jones and company, I wasn't even saying it about them.

The whole purpose of my post was to state the things that truly concern me with respect to what being in the LC does to its membership from the perspective of what I see in those that I still see somewhat regularly, namely my family. Others may not agree with my observations, but they are my observations. I see actual harm, not physical but psychological. Some may think that only they can make that call for themselves. At some level, I disagree. Sometimes intervention is needed.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote