View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #630
aron

Default Re: The Vision of the Age, the Ministry of the Age, and the Minister of the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel View Post
I've been reading about Witness Lee, the Living Stream Ministry, and the Local Church from I first came in contact with all three... A part of my professional requirement is research, and I'm very good at it... One of the reasons being that I am, and have always been, very detailed oriented. It's one of the things people have a love/hate relationship with me for... I have always been able to spot what others miss. Which often makes me very hard to deal with on forums like this.
In Psalm 68, the psalmist says that God will crush the head of His enemies, and the psalmist will bath his feet in their blood (vv 21,23). The footnote says, "We enjoy Christ's victory over the enemies."

But usually the psalmist is panned for being "natural" in expressing such sentiments, even in milder form. In the NT we're supposed to love our enemies, and forgive them! Never wish them ill.

See e.g., Psalm 3 footnote in v 7 "Oh that you would strike all my enemies on the cheek; and break the teeth of the wicked". Lee says that "David's prayer for vengeance against his enemies is contrary to the NT. . . yada yada".

Yet why dd David throw a rock at Goliath? Not so nice, was he? Why did Samuel smite Agag? Etc?

Why the disparity in exegetical approaches? Witness Lee never explains it. It's like one moment he decides that David is a picture of Christ, the next that he's just being "himself". Old David.

I find this to be arbitrary and inconsistent, and don't think it would stand up in an undergraduate paper, much less something published by Oxford U. Press. The whole thing smacks of a self-obsessed vanity project. No wonder Lee wouldn't subject himself to critical review.

How could several hundred or a few thousand sit quietly and uncritically while the 'minister of the age' whipsawed through scripture like this? Mesmerised, perhaps? Cowed into silence? Waiting for the cheer-leaders to start braying today's slogan? Incredible.