View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #874
Ohio

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVee View Post
For a couple of weeks now, I've been thinking about this basic question, "How much to throw out?" My thought has been in the context of those whom I have known that have discovered errors in the particular movement through which they were either saved or brought up.
I found that this discussion forum was particularly helpful in exposing and uprooting pernicious and obnoxious "weeds" which had been sown into my mind, almost imperceptibly, during my many active years in the LC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
My take is don't think about what to throw away, think about what to start with. The list is short. Add anything if God leads, but he probably won't.
I agree with this whole-heartedly. Far too many ex-LCers have discarded the good with the bad, and have thus ship-wrecked their faith in God. Yesterday I was considering how Jesus was betrayed by one of his closest friends. What did He do? He established a New Covenant. (I Cor 11.23-26)

Likewise, many of us felt seriously betrayed at the time we left the LC. I know I did. Years of wrongs then seemed to surface in my mind. It wasn't that I was unforgiving others for past offenses, but huge question marks were appearing on every part of the LC program, including teachings, practices, and especially leaderships -- local, regional, and national.

Since so much of our Christian life was caught up with the LC movement, some could no longer distinguish what was real, and what was phony, and ended up clinging to new things far worse that the LC, at least to my thinking.

A good way to start is what I encourage all new believers to do: Read the Gospels and talk to Jesus. Then talk to others about Him.