View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #106
aron

Default Re: Does LSM Hold to Apostolic Succession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
But all I got was cut and paste answers quoting from Life-Studies..
Now I remember why I wanted to write the earlier post! Let's think about Peter, our template for the fallible believer. I love Peter's story because there I see something of us all. As I've said, Peter didn't fail more than the rest, but his failures were simply well-documented.

Let me give four representative samples: "Lord, this will never happen to you!" after Jesus foretold His death and resurrection.

Then, seeing Jesus walking on the waves and asking for His command to come, and looking down once he'd gotten out of the boat, and becoming frightened.

On the mountain of transfiguration: "Lord, it is good that we are here. Let's build three booths, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah!"

Later on, going fishing with the brothers, and ignoring the Lord's hungry and lost sheep.

In each case Peter had seen something, then took his eye off the ball, and whiffed. I was thinking that maybe there's a pattern here. First, let's say we get a revelation from God. In Matthew 16, for example, Peter realized that Jesus was the promised Christ of God. In my case, like the prodigal in Luke, I was on my hands and knees fighting with pigs, when suddenly I got a revelation of my Father's house. I heard the name of Jesus, and recognized the call of the Shepherd, and got up and began to return home.

Good, right? But then what happened? Then, inevitably, at some point, I took my eye off the ball, and whiffed. I stumbled, and failed, again and again. The light became darkness, and how great was the darkness! Suddenly I heard, "Get away from Me, Satan!"

I think that to some extent this is a good picture of our spiritual journey. Arguably only the Lord Jesus Himself had a journey of pure, untrammeled light. The rest of us as redeemed and reborn sinners have struggled with residual darkness, at least in part. We had to see what we were apart from God -- helpless and hopeless failures -- before we could know and appreciate the phenomenal depth of God's mercy and grace toward us who believe.

And this is where the fellowship of the saints really comes in. In the assembly we get exposed and we repent to each other; we can be 'right-sized', and can be restored to the narrow path of life. But Nee & Lee built a system immune from correction. The system's revelation was supposedly not from the word, but rather to God's so-called 'oracle'; for example, Lee called Nee "The seer of the divine revelation in the present age". Their program was built on a necessary infallibility of this seer; whose vision was accountable only to God -- "even when he's wrong he's right", was the slogan I heard. So correction became impossible, and even when we sensed that the emperor had no clothes on, we just shouted all the louder, How fine they are! Such garments! Fit for the King's wedding! Etc.

Quote:
I joined to find out if the local church had changed, and found out that it hadn't.
What I've begun to understand, years out of the Nee & Lee system, is that the word of God is a blinding light, greater than we can bear. The Spirit, given without measure, is more than our feeble vessels can contain, and easily overwhelms our faculties. Paul wrote, "We can only see dimly, and in part", and if Paul acknowledged this, how much we all! We're redeemed sinners, reborn from the death's darkness, and in our emergence to the light we may occasionally lack in perception. At some point we're like Peter: our eye strays from the luminous path and back to more familiar terrain. In effect, once we've gone to the light, we may stumble, somewhat, back to darkness.

And so the Bible becomes a book of knowledge; telling us merely something of God's attributes, or His move in history. Instead of the blinding light of life we have dull shadows of knowledge. We still think we're okay, and are contented, until God corrects us, like when Jesus rebuked Peter. But, suppose we build a system which necessitates our immunity from correction? What then? Then we won't change. We might get some light, and then retreat to the shadows, and simply stay there. I think that Nee & Lee had surely some light; they were believers. But they subsequently built systems predicated upon not being corrected. And if no correction, then no change. And the "local churches of the Lord's recovery" system was likewise unable to change.

When Nee said he wanted to evangelize China, and presented to his listeners an organizational plan for its accomplishment, he was taking his eye off the ball. When Lee said that if we just did such-and-such we'd each gain two new ones in a year, and within 19 years of taking this "new way" we'd recover the whole earth, he was taking his eye off the ball. In both cases they looked to what men might do for God, instead of looking at what God had already done. Instead of seeing the kingdom of God shining in His Holy Word, they instead tried to build a facsimile. Like the young man in Luke 15 who remembered his father's house, suddenly they interposed their idea upon God's revelation: "I know what I'll do: I'll go and become a servant. I am not any more worthy of being a son." The church became a place where we tried to do something for God, instead of a celebration of what God had already done for us in Jesus Christ. And mere knowledge replaced the ineffable glory of the coming Spirit.

Again, we all do this. We all occasionally superimpose our familiar concepts upon God's blinding light. We all end up in the shadows, sometimes. The problem with the Nee & Lee system is that it was dedicated to avoiding this inevitable fact. Supposedly they had a special commission straight from God's throne and were exempt from human adjustment. And thus their inevitable errors, immune from correction, became great.