View Single Post
Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #35
Evangelical

Default Re: What Witness Lee really taught

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
I didn't get this while I was there and I do not get it now. Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil is precisely that. Knowledge of Good and Evil.

While I was in that denomination they would always put the emphasis on the fact that the tree (which is bad [in their eyes]) was not only of the knowledge of evil, but of the knowledge of Good as well.

They are implying that the Good is evil. And that just does not make any sense whatsoever.

Perhaps you can clarify it for me?
Maybe I can but it is a difficult subject.

Firstly, the tree of knowledge of good and evil was not evil itself, because God said everything He created in the Garden of Eden was good. Genesis 3:22 even says that to have the knowledge of good and evil is to be like God:

Genesis 3:22 "Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—”"

So the tree of knowledge itself cannot be evil.

When mankind fell, they did not simply lose God and become evil, they gained knowledge of good and evil. Before eating the tree of knowledge, Adam and the woman were completely dependent upon God. Because of their disobedience, the fall of man brought with it the "knowledge of good and evil".

What did Satan achieve? Satan caused mankind to eat knowledge without having eaten the tree of life, so man would not live forever.

What is this good and evil? It is basically a higher realm of knowledge that does not require dependence on God. That is why today mankind has achieved great advances in society, technology etc, all without God. Humans can even be good people without God, it is possible, there are many good people around.

What is the problem? Man has knowledge that enables him to do great things but he has no life. This is why mankind needs Christ to receive God's life, the eternal life and live forever.