View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #133
OBW

Default Re: The Experience of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
John 3:36 (NLT). And all who believe in God's Son have eternal life. Those who don't obey the Son will never experience eternal life, but the wrath of God remains upon them."
”See life” or “see eternal life” in every other translation consulted. Is this seeing not experience? Surely it is experience. But again, seeing is experience, but experience is not seeing. Why insist on the unspecific.

Quote:
John 8:32 (MSG). Then you will experience for yourselves the truth, and the truth will free you."
”Know,” not “experience.”

Quote:
John 17:13 (MSG). Now I'm returning to you. I'm saying these things in the world's hearing So my people can experience My joy completed in them.
”Full measure.” “Fulfilled.” “My joy fulfilled in themselves.” Is this experience of Christ, or of joy? Or do we dismiss joy and declare it all to be Christ. While the latter sounds theologically superior, it really does not provide the meaning that “experiencing joy” does.

Quote:
Acts 10:10 (CEB). He became hungry and wanted to eat. While others were preparing the meal, he had a visionary experience. Acts 10:10 CEB
”Fell into a trance.” This interesting construct of “had a visionary experience” is just way too much addition of “meaning” and removed from the truth that the words actually supplied convey.

I’m not allowing Peter’s retelling of the event to duplicate this false positive.

Quote:
Romans 5:2 (GNT). He has brought us by faith into this experience of God's grace, in which we now live. And so we boast of the hope we have of sharing God's glory!
”Into this grace.” Nothing about experience, other than as supplied by the translator(s) of the one version.

Quote:
Romans 12:2 (BBE). And let not your behaviour be like that of this world, but be changed and made new in mind, so that by experience you may have knowledge of the good and pleasing and complete purpose of God.
Again, “experience is not there except in the one translation. And even if we take this one, what “experience” is it talking about? Something that has to be supplied from somewhere outside the text because it is not there. And so you like the supplying of the word “experience” despite the fact that it is not there. And if it is, would it be to redirect you from what it was talking about, or to something else?

Quote:
1 Corinthians 7:22 (MSG). I'm simply trying to point out that under your new Master you're going to experience a marvelous freedom you would never have dreamed of. On the other hand, if you were free when Christ called you, you'll experience a delightful "enslavement to God" you would never have dreamed of.
This rewrite is a little exuberant in its adding of words not found by so many other translators.

Quote:
1 Corinthians 14:3 (MSG). But when you proclaim his truth in everyday speech, you're letting others in on the truth so that they can grow and be strong and experience his presence with you.
This is getting old. Yet another anomaly of translation that overflows with extra words that are not necessary to understand the text, and not necessarily relevant to it. If you want to suggest that this verse is something that should e considered as a reason to hang onto this nebulous term, then make the case. Don’t just quote verses that don’t actually say what you want them to say.

Quote:
2 Corinthians 1:15 (ESV). Because I was sure of this, I wanted to come to you first, so that you might have a second experience of grace.
I will not contend that “receive a blessing” is not an “experience of grace.” But at the same time, “receive a blessing” is the way it is spoken and the two are not simply synonyms. A blessing is something specific. It is not “simply grace” (which Lee would have rephrased as “simply Christ”). It is a blessing.

Quote:
Galatians 3:4 (CEB). Did you experience so much for nothing? I wonder if it really was for nothing.
”Suffer,” not “experience.” And even if you want to leave the word in there, it was personal experience. Their suffering was real and tangible because they had become believers. It was not some “experience of Christ” other than in parallel because Christ also suffered.

Quote:
Galatians 6:6 (MSG). Be very sure now, you who have been trained to a self-sufficient maturity, that you enter into a generous common life with those who have trained you, sharing all the good things that you have and experience.
So to “share all good things” is now “have and experience”?

OK. I think I am done. Well over half-way through your list. And nothing.

You have clamored on as if you have been supplying all this evidence that the Bible supports the term and the meaning. But even when you finally do this, you just quote verses that do not actually say what you think they do. You even went to great lengths to find novel translations to assert that they were even there to consider.

The least you could do is try to then make a case for what it means that they might kinda, sorta, maybe mean what you want them to mean. But instead you go off complaining about how that OBW guy is so cold, callous, and doesn’t read your posts.

False.

I read them all. And your ranting has been found wanting. Besides, all of the ranting about me is a strawman to avoid the topic. Or muddy it. Until it got worse, I at least engaged the things you actually said, not your person. But your person is becoming hard to avoid. It is evident that you are neither reading my posts (maybe scanning the words) nor seriously engaging the topic.

Maybe it is better if you just sit this one out.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote