View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 AM   #438
InOmnibusCaritas

Default Re: Discussion of Psalm 2 (part 1 of 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceInWilderness View Post
Psalm 2 was written by David according to Acts 4:25,

I agree that you can't take a verse so out of context like that. That was one of the problems with pray-reading, that a verse would be taken out of context and often taken to mean more than it said.

Ps 2:12 Kiss the Son lest He be angry and you perish from the way when His wrath burns but a little.

This is a word for rulers. A Christian kisses the Son because he loves Him because He gave up His life for us, but a ruler kisses the Son lest He be angry.
This is not a romantic kiss.
I am perfectly fine with ascribing the Psalm to the historical David. It is plausible that David wrote this psalm as the standardised enthronement liturgy for his successors.

I am also perfectly fine with pray-reading provided the verse is studied first. I have major problems with how many LC-ers practice pray-reading. I have an even bigger issue with PSRP. Study the context first so that pray-reading doesn't lead one to impossible interpretations.

Yes, "kiss the Son lest He be angry" was written to the vassal rulers (e.g., Moab). Of course, if Gentile rulers too must be in subjection to the King, Gentile peasants like us too should pledge our allegiance to Him.

Christians today ought to "kiss the Son" out of love for the salvation afforded to us, but that application cannot be derived from Psalm 2.
InOmnibusCaritas is offline   Reply With Quote