View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #41
aron

Default Re: The Psalms are the word of Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Witness Lee took the extremely narrow view of "finding Christ" in the O.T. based on the old Brethren way of types and figures. If he could not "find Christ," then he often considered these verses of lesser value. ... If WL had only said that his intention was to take a new look at scripture, then I would say that is fine. But he did not do just that. He reproached all the other studies, and elevated his own above that of scripture, at least in the ears of his adherents.
I agree, especially with the bolded part. Lee's study the Psalms is adequate of itself, as an introductory Christian look at the Psalms, and as a very small part the larger Christian conversation. He did better than some, my treatments here -- his approach was systematic, while mine has been just to touch on a few representative samples. But as a "definitive" account of Christ in the Psalms, I find his "life study" to be very superficial and incomplete. It treats maybe 10 to 20% of the text, and I think that is mostly because the New Testament writers got there before he did. And when he downplays the whole body of the psalm text as irrelevant and suddenly sees a revelation of Christ in the one verse cited in the NT, it really looks schizophrenic, unless you've been steeped in the LSM "Lee speaks alone" culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
This highlights the inherent dangers with receiving from only one teacher as the LC's are wont to do. You may get some very good teachings, but what you don't get might be far more necessary to meet your current situation.
This goes back to your statements on young christians being dependent on those before them. A new believer might find this Psalms exposition very helpful as an cursory first look. But for a mature believer to be stuck with this, years or even decades into his or her Christian journey.... I remember one "blended" declaring proudly that he would eat "Witness Lee leftovers" the rest of his life. How can any Christian deliberately limit themselves thus? What happened to the "all-inclusive Christ"?