View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #29
aron

Default Re: "Globalization of Chinese Christianity: A Study of Watchman Nee and..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
...I believe that the age of giants is over in the church life. Perhaps in the next generation, the so-called "giants" that we have now will disappear altogether. Today is the end time for giants. ... (The Collected Works of Watchman Nee, vol. 6)
It certainly seems more benign the way WN puts it, prefaced with "I believe". . .

But I believe that the age of the giants ended in the flood in the book of Genesis, and if WN had a little more circumspection he'd never have applied such a questionable metaphor.

And WL was less circumspect still, in his "It is the age of the Spirit" maxim; when it went forth into the Shouter assemblies it didn't carry any cautionary preface. I don't know if you ever saw some of the videos smuggled out of China 20 years ago? They'd scream WL's slogans, over and over. That's partly why I'd call it an evil mind control cult. Any freedom to exercise your God-given mind was gone. Just shout the slogan of the day, over and over and over again. On the mainland you could really see the WL indoctrination programme for what it was.

The Maximum Brother's subjective whim became objective reality in the collective - this can be seen by the fact that when they quoted WN from the podium after WL's passing, it had a completely new meaning. Now, "The age of spiritual giants is over" meant that WL alone had stood astride the landscape. Now, they said, it was the age of us small potatoes. And the Bible was never even referenced.