View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
zeek

Default Re: Weekly Revival Reading - Your Opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
He could see and talk to the "invisible" and then rebuke them. He resurrected from the dead. He could raise the dead. All things came into being thru Him. He could heal men of all infirmities, but He did at times require a little faith in return. (Too bad the home town folks missed out on this!) He gave sight to the blind (first this guy's eyes, then He taught his mind to interpret the images.) He could control the weather. He could walk on water. He could empower others to walk on water. He could forgive sins. He is the Knower of hearts. Jesus knew the future. (He did refer all wisdom to His Father, however, when He decided not to tell us the day of His return.)

And Zeek is worried that Jesus was not omniscient or omnipotent.

Brother Zeek, there are other things and people we should worry about, but not the Lord Jesus.
Superman can do things that no ordinary human can do like run faster than a speeding bullet, leap tall building in a single bound, and see though any substance except lead. But that doesn't make Superman close to omniscient or omnipotent.

All things coming into being through Jesus is in John not in the synoptic gospels. In John Jesus seems to be divine in a way not consistent with the depiction of him in the Synoptic Gospels.

I'm not worried about Jesus. I'm worried about people distorting what the Bible says by reading things in that aren't there. I'm worried about people explaining away difficulties and giving answers for problems we have no answer for. If we don't know something, we are better off recognizing it, and admitting it.

The issue is that in order to be savior, Jesus had to be both God and a human being. In order to appreciate Christ, I think we need to appreciate that that is impossible to explain. If Jesus is really human, he can't be God. If Jesus is really God, he can't be human. This is the central, essential Christian paradox. It is a mystery. It cannot be explained. So, if we are Christians, this is what we have to take on board.

Last edited by zeek; 08-18-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: syntax
zeek is offline   Reply With Quote