View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #6
Nell

Default Re: Vessels To Contain God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Shadow India View Post
So how about 2 Corinthians 4:7 does it not teach man being vessel to contain God?

Greetings from India!

2 Cor. 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Greetings, India—

Not every verse in the Bible is a “teaching”. The passages you refer to don’t prescribe a teaching regarding use of the word “vessels”. Rather, here, the word “vessels” is an analogy to describe his dwelling place in man.

As such, these verses illustrate the concepts of descriptive vs. prescriptive passages in the Bible.

I heard a funny example of prescriptive v. descriptive, when Paul told Timothy (I think Timothy) “when you come bring my cloak with you”. This isn’t a teaching about cloaks...it’s just Paul asking for a favor. There are many such verses in the Bible. UntoHim has given you an eloquent description of a beautiful reality of the potter and the clay.

Without more context, your questions about the “vessel” verses would seem to fall into the “descriptive” column.

Nell

Last edited by Nell; 05-14-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote