View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
countmeworthy

Default Re: Hebrews - Awesome & Encouraging Book! ("warnings" are not the main focu

Because I have been studying the meaning of dispensations, in this past year or 2, I have realized or noticed the book is addressed to THE HEBREWS..The converted Hebrews..not necessarily to the gentile church. The converted gentiles knew nothing about animal sacrifices, burnt offerings etc... However us gentiles CERTAINLY HAVE profited from this rich wonderful book.

Still it seems the converted Hebrews went from following the law of Moses to following the Holy Spirit which is not an easy feat!!

They had to be reminded and explained how the BLOOD sacrifice of Jesus is the only sacrifice that wipes away all sin.

He reminds them that it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. (Hebrews 10:4)

It had to be really hard for the converted Hebrews to understand the Power of the Cleansing Blood of the TRUE LAMB of God.

I suspect they were tempted to return to the blood sacrifices of bulls and goats and burnt offerings etc because HE also cautions them not to sin willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth. (vs 26) If they returned to blood sacrifices of the law, they would be making a mockery of the shed Blood of Jesus. I think that is what it means to 'sin willfully'. Again, the gentile church knows nothing about circumcision, the law of Moses, the Levitical priesthood etc.

God reminds them they are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul.

Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Jesus, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7: 22-24)

So while Hebrews is definitely speaking to us gentiles it is also speaking to the converted Hebrews. And God has a reason He is addressing this book TO THE HEBREWS not to the church in Judah or the church in_____.
(Luke 21:36)
countmeworthy is offline   Reply With Quote