View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #69
Ohio

Default Re: LSM’s Deification Doctrine—Biblical or Blasphemous? Nigel Tomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
Ouch, doesn't seem right to lump the OC in with LSM LR.
I thought so too, especially when I learned that the biggest opponents of the Recovery back in the late 70's were the same folks who now are part of the Orthodox leadership today in the US. Jack Sparks, the author of Mindbenders, is now the lead editor of your Orthodox Study Bible. Did you know it was the Eastern "Orthodox" church when you bought it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERn View Post
I wish I knew more theology and history, but I imagine for the OC theosis is a minor doctrine. I have the Orthodox Study Bible and I think theosis is only mentioned in one or two places, while in LSM publications and speaking it's everywhere.
Nigel has a few footnotes from scholars who point out that deification is the "central theme" of the EO church. That places their foundation on the "sinking sand" of church fathers rather than on God's word. Interestingly, I know many old LC'ers, especially from the GLA area, who would say that theosis was nothing more than a passing footnote in Lee's ministry. Their "Lee" was from the Life-Study era, which nearly has no mention of theosis.

I have a retired neighbor friend, also an engineer, who grew up in the Russian Orthodox church, but now attends the nearest Ukrainian Orthodox church. Just the other day he was explaining to me how they still use the old Julian calendar rather than the Gregorian we use, hence their holidays, e.g. holy week, are different than ours. In all regards they are so "old." I guess that appeals to some. I have been trying to probe his faith for something of the Lord.