View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 05:40 AM   #13
Indiana

Default Re: An Attempt to Attend a Meeting This Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only by Grace View Post
Dear Steve,
Coming from one who feels no constriction from the Lord other than to meet with followers of Jesus who don't teach heresey, I can't help but be perplexed as to why don't you join ANY of the other of 1000's of Christians who must be meeting in the Bellevue area the same time as the church in Bellevue? Is it "the name"? If so, surely the Bellevue Church of Christ, or Bellevue Community Church, or Bellevue Christian Church, Bellevue Assembly, Bellevue City Church (if there is such a thing) can't be offensive? My guess is that there are others who would welcome you in, minister to your hurts, worship with you, and be genuinely glad that you have joined them. Why continue to punish yourself with repeated rejections? If you believe as LSM recently emphasised in the HH broadcast: We are not the only church, just part of the church...and, we're not the perfect church, but just striving to be, you'll find MANY, MANY other Christians in your area who feel exactly the same way! I think Kisstheson's words from another thread could be encouragement to you...

It saddens my heart to see you longing for fellowship when it is RIGHT THERE in BELLEVUE waiting for you! Turn to the right, turn to the left...there are loving Christians everywhere!

Dear brother, My guess is that you came into the church life after 1974.

After 1974 things changed.

From 1971 to 1973, I had not only risen up but had catapulted into an amazing sphere. What I received then, propels me today. I, by the way, am not a notable person, outwardly. I have NO distinction academically or professionally.

But, I know what I have seen. And, seeing is everything. What I see is what I live by.

Prior to going into the local church meeting last week, I went into the Pres meeting next door where they have 4000 members (on paper) and I worked there as a “lowly” custodian for 10 months and met many people, including the six pastors, 3 men and 3 women. There were 250! activities taking place in classrooms throughout the week that I helped take care of setting up. I met many dear believers there and enjoyed them (somewhat, honestly speaking).

I also went to another popular meeting place called Washington Cathedral, and another called Westminster Chapel. These places are filled with hundreds and into the thousands of believers. Overlake Christian is another place, 5000 at least. North Baptist is another.

I joined home meetings in the first 3 places I mentioned. (You know, the home group meetings have really taken hold in mainstream Christian circles, as it has also in the so-called local churches (sorry to you who do not like me to use the term, so-called).

Brother, I already told you I am not a person of distinction, and along with that I don’t have a natural ability to really be a teacher. My older brother is a professor at a Christian college and another Christian brother in my family is a teacher in a high school. Yet, my brothers recognize that my speaking is not only higher than theirs, it is much higher! This is not because of me, but because of the ministry I have been under for 37 years.

Don’t worry, be assured I do know the story on the negative side concerning the local churches. But my spirit also bears witness with what has been produced on the positive side, and I will not cast it aside.

In other words, I HAVE “turned to the right and turned to the left” – and virtually, there is nothing there, at least not by comparison. Dear brother, there is “nothing there!” in the “best places”. This is not only my experience, it is the experience of many others looking for an alternative around the country.

I know that some will say they have found an alternative, but deep down what have they actually found? Of course, the debate would begin, but I am riveted to and compelled by a vision that I saw very early on, 1971-73 (and, much more revelation came forth in subsequent years in this controversial, yet incredible ministry of brother Witness Lee.)

Brother, be advised, I am certainly not happy with my treatment by elders over the years…

But just as in tonight’s “outside the local church” home meeting that I am in on Saturday nights, I have the most to say of spiritual value. That is simply the truth, although a new Christian college professor sister was in attendance tonight for the first time. It doesn’t matter what home meeting I attend, anywhere, I will “dominate” and lead, spontaneously, in my way, though no one could point to me, necessarily, as a leader that night. To lead is not even in my thinking; but to minister Christ is. And, it all comes from the ministry of…….….and the grace, the love, and the fellowship according to 2 Cor. 12:13.

The problem in the local churches is that our brothers and sisters have become very small, receiving only those who receive “the ministry”, which is said to be “indispensable to our oneness.” Rhetorically speaking, others are received. And, I do mean, rhetorically.

This is a PROBLEM and has led to a lack of blessing, to put it quite mildly. But my eyes are on what we had in the beginning…

This is what I see, and this is what motivates me.

Thank you, brother, for your show of concern to me. I want to be open for correction, if it is indeed needed.

Thank you again,

Steve I.

Last edited by Indiana; 09-21-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote