View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #64
Cal

Default Re: "Promoting Reading the Publication of the Ministry Among the Saints"

To me a test of your validity and sincerity as a believer is: Can you pass on your faith to the next generation? The cliche is that the preacher's kids are often the wildest. Witness Lee's son Philip was out of control. It's a real challenge that can be easily blown if you handle it wrong.

I went to an event where the writer of the book The Shack (soon to be a movie) spoke frankly about his life. His dad was a Christian worker of some sort, but one who showed very little love for his children. He was well-behaved at church, but abusive at home. It's a sad legacy that is repeated all too often.

There is something about we committed Christians who are parents that tends to expect our kids to be good Christians as a matter of course. This won't work. We need to be proactive in a genuine way.

My approach is simple and basic:
  • Love your kids.
  • Be holy, but not holier-than-thou.
  • Apologize when you've done wrong. Don't protect your image.
  • Be genuine.
  • Don't be a prude. Have a sense of humor.
  • Teach your kids the essentials: Love. Relationships. Prayer. Faith. Trust. The positive rewards of a life entrusted to God.
  • A little theology is okay, but don't overdo it. They will tune it out. Always bring it back to a joyful and natural relationship with God.
  • Always let them know that they are special to God. Teach them to be content and comfortable with how God made them.
  • Laugh a lot. Have a happy home.
  • Show them a life of sacrificial love. This where the rubber meets the road. This is what God honors.
  • Pray, pray, pray.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote