View Single Post
Old 12-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #23
Ohio

Default Re: In need of advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Beginnings View Post
Speaking to my husband has become so frustrating. He doesn't seem able at this point to even explain to me what he actually believes. I know he was taught from a young age not to think but instead to blindly follow. This blows my mind! I guess I never was truly brain washed by the LC myself. But how can I meet him where he is at and respect his beliefs if he can not even express them?
Part of his upbringing was the indoctrination that all of Christianity is fallen, hopelessly degraded, and incurably divided. Lee regularly would go off on a rant about "poor, poor, Christianity." So it's not that the LC's were necessarily "perfect," but that everything else was far worse. Witness Lee liked to compare the best of the LC (like a testimony of some young brother spouting off Lee's doctrines) with the worst of Christianity. These are false comparisons. He should have compared outsiders' kids with his own fleshly and profligate sons, Philip and Timothy. That would have been fair.

For someone like your husband, who has never seen anything else outside the LC, and had this nonsense teaching ingrained by his own parents, it is a difficult stronghold to break thru. That's why it's so hard for your husband to explain his beliefs. He has been trained to condemn Christians whom he has never met, yet in his mind it is their "system" that is critiqued, and not the actual people. But that is a bogus argument. It's kind of like me saying that I love my wife, but hate the way she looks (), she talks(), she shops (), she thinks (), she drives (), she cooks (), and she kisses (). You get the point. How can we say that we love Christians outside the LC, when all we do is trash them, and never have anything nice to say about them.

So many dear believers in the LC's are just like your husband. I am one, and I know many more. They can't meet the endless standards inside the LC, and they dare not venture elsewhere. But your husband has you, and you have access to other Christians, and they are nothing like what he has been told. Perfect love casts out fear.