Thread: Women's Role
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #120
Evangelical

Default Re: Women's Role

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Oh, great! Then why not point us to the verses concerning the Apostle's fellowship on this point and lets just cut out the "middle man" of Christian tradition. I think it is well documented that Witness Lee did not respect Christian tradition, and I think it is also well documented that those on this forum do respect the fellowship of the Apostles written down for us in the NT.
Everyone has the "fellowship of the Apostles" if they read the bible don't they?

This tradition of forbidding female leadership was not reversed by Luther or Calvin. Did they not have the fellowship of the Apostles also?

John Calvin's commentary on 1 Tim 2:12

If any one bring forward, by way of objection, Deborah and others of the same class, of whom we read that they were at one time appointed by the command of God to govern the people, the answer is easy. Extraordinary acts done by God do not overturn the ordinary rules of government, by which he intended that we should be bound. Accordingly, if women at one time held the office of prophets and teachers, and that too when they were supernaturally called to it by the Spirit of God, He who is above all law might do this; but, being a peculiar case, “Because it is a peculiar and extraordinary case.” this is not opposed to the constant and ordinary system of government.

If we truly care about the fellowship of the Apostles, we would seek out the original Greek meaning of what the Apostles wrote, as I have, by consulting experts such as Wallace.

In addition, we have the serious scholars as I think you called them once before, such as Matthew Henry:

According to St. Paul, women are not allowed to be public teachers in the church; for teaching is an office of authority. But good women may and ought to teach their children at home the principles of true religion.

What makes you think that only you have the "fellowship of the Apostles" and Wallace, Henry, Calvin etc and others do not?

Lee did reference the early church fathers at times, appealing to the early church views and traditions.

I could also quote early church fathers, forbidding female leadership if you like - people who lived closer to the time of the apostles. Or a few good books on Christian history.

During the apostles time, there were no female church leaders. The early church carried on these traditions and still carried on today by Catholic and Orthodox denominations.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote