Thread: mann-man's Blog
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 AM   #17
manna-man

Default Re: The Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
I struggle here too. We regularly attended a community church with Pentecostal leanings. After the recession hit, there were endless requests for tithes, offerings, gifts, sowing seeds, etc. Eventually, I concluded that I could not afford to be a Christian anymore. The final straw for us was the altar call (following some sharing on Gen. 50.20), and as some went forward, the minister said there were buckets available to "sow seeds" of $20 and $50.

I do believe one of the corruptive forces at work is the transition from a church to a ministry. This happened in the LC's and that community church we visited. Initially, the ministers served the church acc. to the needs of the flock, but later the church began to exist for the building up of the man's ministry. The church thus becomes a business. It is run like a business. People exist only for the furtherance of the business.

This is why the Bible has so many warnings for leaders. LC leaders failed us miserably. Eventually I had to accept the inevitable conclusion that my LC only existed for the LSM and later for TC's work. Real churches have shepherds that place the flock first. Ministries have workers that place the business first. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which until finances get tight. Then the true colors become evident.

Great post Ohio,
Wouldn't it have been better for that pastor to simply let the congregation know what the needs were rather than to push the seed offering? It is biblical to make our needs known for God will meet the need through His people that is if there is no flesh involved.

Peace, and have a good and Godly day!
manna-man is offline   Reply With Quote