View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #20
Trapped

Default Re: Practically engaged to an LCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
I've mentioned verbally a lot of my concerns like this, especially regarding the one source of information (from Lee and Nee, recovery version, etc). I also told her I see her church at a "Living Stream Church" and consider it as a denomination, despite them denying the existence of a denomination. Should I write down any previously mentioned concerns or only new ones? I'm getting more comfortable mentioning these things in person because I realize I don't have much to lose, and I'm pretty content with myself in case we don't work out. I would have liked discussing it within the past few days but decided to put it off so I could enjoy the holidays.

I really don't want to say much of anything since marriage is such a high stake and there are so many nuances that it's hard to be a "keyboard advisor" without knowing the situation personally, but the phrase I bolded above jumped out at me. I'm no trained professional in this area, but.....that doesn't seem like a solid foundation for any relationship, much less one that will likely be guaranteed to encounter disagreement over spiritual things.

If you are pretty content in case you don't work out....why marry that person? If facing a lifetime with them and you already feel you "don't have much to lose" if things go south....what substantive foundation are you committing to then?

Marriage will be difficult enough even without the LC issues you've mentioned. If you are already content not working out before you've gotten married, do you have enough to draw on when the inevitable difficulties come where you have to fight to in order to work out?