View Single Post
Old 12-27-2018, 05:46 AM   #26
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Re: Practically engaged to an LCer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar View Post
... I'm getting more comfortable mentioning these things in person because I realize I don't have much to lose, and I'm pretty content with myself in case we don't work out. I would have liked discussing it within the past few days but decided to put it off so I could enjoy the holidays.
Jmar--

Your definition of marriage is more secular than biblical. Society has an "escape clause" but biblically marriage is until "death do you part". "What God has joined together, let no man put asunder." This "no man" includes you.

Secular contracts are written and rewritten by men, even the US Supreme Court, who are influenced by the culture of the day. Contracts can easily be broken "when things don't work out", especially when you enter into the contract with nothing to lose.

It appears you have chosen a secular marriage where the only thing that binds you two together is paperwork. Her commitment to the Local Church is not your biggest issue.

Matthew 19:3-8 New International Version (NIV)
3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”
4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’[a] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’[b]? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”
7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

Something else to think about...