View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #106
aron

Default Re: Lying to the Chinese

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbear View Post
Perhaps they could also use the story of Rahab and the spies to justify their overlooking the truth. Rahab lied but was blessed by God because she did it for the greater good and her heart was in the right place...
I had a similar story told to me when I came into the local churches. I was discussing my job situation with an elder brother and he told me that it was good to "plunder the gold out of Egypt", and since the fleeing Jews robbed the Egyptians of gold which they later made the ark and serving vessels of, while in the desert, we could do the same thing with our jobs. He wasn't condoning theft, of course, but he was giving a spiritual cover to avarice, and greed, and covetousness. He wasn't encouraging anything, but giving me an excuse if I wanted it.

Today I suspect "stealing the gold from Egypt" does have some spiritual connotations, but to give it material connotations of any kind is probably going too far.