View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #50
Raptor

Default Re: Does the Bible say we are Sinners?

I think one of the implied definitions in the Bible for the word "sinner" is unbeliever, these seem to be used synonymously. Actually, the unique sin, the one sin that causes people to end up in the lake of fire under God's judgement is unbelief in the Son of God who died for us and was raised. So it follows to say that if you believe in the gospel, then you are no longer a sinner in that sense.

Nevertheless even as repentant sinners, redeemed people and regenerated sons of God, we still have the flesh and the self; the sinful nature still dwells in us and we do sin, and maybe not just occasionally. Actually, the more we go on in the Lord, the more His light should shine in us exposing so many things He wants us to confess and deal with.

I think the healthy view of our status is again, a dual status, basically we are saved sinners. If we emphasize one too much, we either end up in condemnation (on the side of "sinner", i.e. "I cannot go on, God hates me, I am worthless") or delusion (on the side of "saint", i.e."I am wealthy and have become rich and have need of nothing").

So yes, we as saved believers who still have the flesh are and can be:
  • Born again
  • Crucified
  • Dead to sin
  • Washed
  • Redeemed
  • Alive to God
  • Saints
  • Sons of God
  • children of light
  • faithful
  • wise