View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #185
Sons to Glory!

Default Re: Open Letter - Dear Saints in the Lord's Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Every LC'er should go back to the story of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10 and read the punchline: "You go and do likewise."

LC teachers loved to expound this story condemning religious people, (Remember their favorite book, Christ vs. Religion?) but they always skipped the punchline. They loved to allegorize the robbers, the oil, and the wine, but left out the actual instructions from the Lord concerning the original question, "what must we do to inherit eternal life?"

Thus LC teachers would endlessly strain allegorical gnats, but pass the plain teachings of the camel.
This is from a month ago, so hope it isn't too stale . . .

So should we talk about Jesus, or should we talk about religion? Two definitions for "religion" are: 1) the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods; 2) a particular system of faith and worship

The first seems pretty benign, but the second definition bothers me a little since it uses the word "system." Systems are man-made, right? From experience, I can get into my own little system of what I think pleases the Lord (religion), and there's very little of Him in that!