View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #26
UntoHim
Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον For God So Loved The World

Default Re: Bill Mallon's Passing

I fully understand that the civil notion of "checks and balances", and even the general notion of accountability from leaders, is a modern convention of Western civilization. Nevertheless, I think that church history shows us that when any leader within the church becomes too powerful, then the adage that "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely" rears it's ugly head. Is there any doubt that John Ingalls, John So, Bill Mallon et al found this out the hard way?

For 50+ years Witness Lee reigned supreme in the Local Church. There were no checks - there were no balances. There was absolutely no accountability. Even if he was wrong, Witness Lee was right. I am quite sure that Bill Mallon THOUGHT he was following the Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ...and he may very well would have been...in his own heart and mind. But when push came to shove - when the rubber met the road...Bill found out that he was actually, and as it turns out, quite literally, following the person and work of Witness Lee. This stark reality hit him and hit him hard, as evidenced by the long letter he wrote to his "dear brother Lee". I cried the day I read this letter. I cried because I realized that I was just like Bill Mallon. I too thought I was following the Lord Jesus....but I was actually following a man. May God have mercy on us all.

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote