View Single Post
Old 04-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #1660
awareness

Default Re: The Problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
And that is how we learn compassion, empathy, and learn that our actions have consequences.
Consequences sounds like more POE to me. And I agree such losses that we've experienced changed us, or did me. And yes I developed more sensitivity, more compassion, and empathy. Now I feel more for the suffering of others. I cry easy for them.

But why didn't I have those qualities before the loss of my son? That's a big question. But without a doubt my conservative Bible Christian upbringing had something to do with it. As the prevailing attitude was that the 'world out there' was evil and of the prince of this world. That certainly didn't instill compassion and empathy for their suffering, to the same degree a very hurtful loss teaches. Maybe that explains a part of the reason my compassion and empathy were lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNP
However, the Bible says that God will wipe away every tear.
The sweet-by-and-by is not enough to justify the POE. And maybe we'd have more compassion and empathy in our nature if God showed us such values by removing the problem of evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNP
I was very upset as well. However, there was no question that my son was saved. I asked myself if the Lord was going to take one close relative, who would you feel most certain to see in the kingdom? That gave me comfort. Also, I asked, if my son's destiny was to die in his 20s could he have had a better life? Couldn't imagine that he could. He lived like tomorrow was not guaranteed. I was very close to him so I lost someone that I had my closest and best fellowship with, that was a key loss. Also, I received a speaking from the Lord as a result of his death, something very personal that I don't want to share, but it really made me much more serious about being faithful to the Lord.
I'm glad you found comfort brother, just as I was glad my son's mom found comfort in her Spirit Guide.

And speaking of the by and by, I have Christian friends who lost pets, that were considered family members, resulting in like grieving you and I have experienced. They find comfort in believing that they will see them again in heaven.

And yes, such beliefs bring needed comfort. That's another "value" the POE teaches : how to invent ways of finding comfort from the blows and consequences of the POE.