View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #395
awareness

Default Re: Poor poor Christianity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
You should have stuck to this rather than running off with the polygamy, misogyny, etc.
The runoff master can recognize the running off of others but not of himself.

My little ditty wasn't much different than your little ditty, that, the Bible has the way of good slavery ; like MBL players, that are making millions, while in their chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNP
Male and female, together they make up "Man".
I realize "man" has been used to mean all of "man"kind. Why? Because if we used "woman" for all humankind it sounds silly?

No. It's merely a product of patriarchy ; which we all -- the trinity of AltV's - or the Three Amigos -- all agree existed back then. Otherwise gender neutral terms could be used, like "people" or "humans."

But back to "the son of "humankind," er, I mean "man."" Setting aside that it's hard to determine just who the son of man is (why not son of God), lets talk about the word man. In Greek it's "anthrōpos," which is gender neutral, some what, depending on the context. It's used 560 times in the NT.

An interesting conundrum for modern translators, that tend to translate in more gender neutral terms, of the word anthrōpos, is in John 2:24-25 and 3:1 :
Joh 2:24* But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,*
Joh 2:25* And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.*
Joh 3:1* There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:*
All are anthrōpos. So how do you translate them?

Still, we've already settled that those were patriarchal times, when women were subservient to men (and be silent).

I understand why most Jesus believers would get their 10 foot poles out - like bro Ohio - that, Jesus and Paul didn't speak out clearly that the inequality of the sexes is wrong.

Jesus and Paul are the founders and leaders of the Christian faith. They're the ones we look up to for moral guidance. They could have settled the matter early on. But they didn't.

This is important. Because the Christian leaders and founders never made it clear that, women shouldn't be subservient to men, it's caused grievous harm to women for centuries.

I know admitting that is a hard pill to swallow. These days it doesn't make Jesus/Paul/Christianity very attractive concerning the status women. And these days women are clawing out from under that kind of treatment and inequality.

Soooo ... When it comes to women, shame on Jesus and Paul.