View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #1088
zeek

Default Re: Christianity in the Postmodern Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
I did not say "Great American" I said "great American general". There are perhaps 5 or 6 to choose from -- Washington, USS Grant, Patton, Macarthur, Eisenhower, and Robert E Lee.

Compared to Washington that is the toughest comparison because both were on the side that was at a decided disadvantage. Washington was brilliant at holding everything together as was Robert E Lee. However, Lee did much better on his battles and showed greater strategic brilliance. If you include his presidency then I think Washington wins hands down, but I said "greatest American general" so that was not part of the consideration.

USS Grant is, in my opinion, greatly underrated. That said I don't think anyone would rank him higher than Robert E. Lee.

So that leaves MacArthur who captured more territory with less loss of life than any general in history, he had magnificent victories like the the landing at Inchon. If you rank MacArthur higher than Robert E Lee I could see that. However, there were a number of negatives on Mac that we don't need to hash out here.

I consider Eisenhower a great general who showed the administrative side of the post, something that both Mac and Patton were severely lacking on. However Washington and Robert E Lee had to have this skill set as well.

Patton is a darling among some but there is no way I rank him higher than Robert E Lee.

Winfield Scott has some things going for him, but hey his big war was the war of 1812, hardly the crucible that the Civil war or Revolutionary war were.

I suppose you could give Pershing an honorable mention for his WWI performance. Perhaps you could bump him past Patton, but that is it for me.

14 Thou shalt not remove thy neighbor’s landmark, which they of old time have set, in thine inheritance which thou shalt inherit, in the land that Jehovah thy God giveth thee to possess it.

I have no problem with those who do not want to remove the statue of Robert E Lee. What was his crime, he was a slaveholder? So was Washington, Jefferson, etc. Shall we remove the Washington Monument, etc?

I find it insulting that you are comparing a deranged man who ran his car into a group of people as "a guy who is like me". I did not think you could stoop so low, but I guess I should add this to your greatest hits. Maybe it can be a double album.
Lee distinguished himself as a Confederate general fighting against the United States. He was a great American traitor.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote