Thread: Lee's Trinity
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #227
OBW

Default Re: Lee's Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
However the purpose of this verse is to show that to know Jesus Christ, as the exact image of the Father, is to know the Father.
I suggest that you read the verse again. There is nothing about the image of the Father. That was a statement in a different verse in response to a different request. And it does not imply that to know the Son is to know the Father. Instead it says you need to know the Father and know the Son. Why is it said this way? Just to give us something to change or declare that it means something else?

I don't think so.

The problem with too much of the alleged "clear understanding" of the Trinity is that it is typically wrapped-up in trying to tie a lot of different verses together into a single message when each verse was provided to make a particular statement without the goal of providing another bread crumb to figuring it all out. This verse makes a clear statement about our need to know God, and specifically to know the Father and the Son. It is not about the image of the invisible God. It is not about including or excluding the Spirit.

I would assert that if you know the Father and the Son, you know the Spirit. But that is not stated here. For whatever reason — possibly because of the point in time — the Spirit was not mentioned. Getting all worked-up to include what Jesus, through John, did not include seems to be an exercise in second-guessing the God of the universe.

How's that workin' for ya?
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote