View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 03:17 AM   #94
Evangelical

Default Re: Calling On The Name of The Lord and Pray-Reading

It depends. Personal testimonies are often too personal to be of any value. It is nice to know that God did this and God did that for you in the last week. But that only tells me what God did for you, not what I should do for God. Prophesying is better because it can tell me what I need to do for the next week, not just what God did for you in the last. Testimony is about us, but prophesying is about Christ. We should reject all personal matters when we prophesy and focus on Christ.

When I was in Pentecostal churches I sat through a lot of testimonies about how God had given material blessings and claims of unverified healing. I do not consider these personal testimonies superior to second hand teachings about particular biblical insights if they are about Christ.

99% of the time, a person in the denominations will give their testimony regarding physical, material things and what God did for them. Few, if any, will give what Lee called a testimony regarding their experience in life. I can imagine it would be a struggle for most Christians in denominations to be able to speak for 2 minutes about anything of value. Firstly, speaking in meeting, or service, is not encouraged, period, and secondly, their minds would be too focused on matters of the flesh or the world to be able to give a spiritual message.

By the way, you are speaking as if prophesying and personal testimonies are separate things. Prophesying can include real life testimony as well. Normally people will relate the content of the HWFMR to their own personal insight and life experience. Because it is related to something of Christ, it is superior to the so-called "testimonies" of those in denominations.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote