View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #60
Ohio

Default Re: More on Leland Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
You know what's interesting about Leland Wang? He was also there, getting "perfected" by Margaret Barber. He was in the same exact cultural and historical milieu. He was there, renting the hall for the Shanghai Christian Assembly. He was gathering with Watchman Nee and all the rest, ringing bells and wearing "gospel shirts".

And you know what? It looks like he "dropped his culture", just like Lee and Nee were supposed to do. He accepted and received Billy Graham, and was received by Billy Graham, if the article from 1965 is to be believed.

He was okay with "churches, schools, and missions ... in the name of Jesus." He didn't sneer at it, then turn around and build some exclusive "training center". He didn't deride (from what I can see) "Campus Chrusade for Christ" or "Intervarsity", then push some "Christians on Campus" as if it were newer and truer.

So who dropped their concepts and their native culture here - Witness, or Watchman, or Leland?

Did Leland ever insist that all churches everywhere have to be "absolutely identical"? That there can only be one apostle per age? Who had trouble letting go, here? Seems to me that he was free, and Nee and Lee never escaped their culture.
One has only to compare the Deputy Authority doctrine in the LC with 5 millennia of Chinese dynasties to under stand who never dropped their "culture."

The same thing happened in Rome. Why is it that, as Caesar's hold on power and exaltation as a demigod waned, the papal bishop of Rome rose in prominence and power to replace him as the Vicar of Christ, the Holy See, etc.