Thread: Fundamentalism
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #728
OBW

Default Re: Fundamentalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Dispositonally I might agree with you, but, even doing nothing has political implications since it is, in effect, a tacit approval of the status quo.
But when they are equally silent under either extreme of regimes, then what is the approval for? The will of those who actually vote?

I watched a preacher change from somewhat activist to completely hands-off over 20+ years. Some tried to get him to take positions and his answer was that his congregation was sufficiently divided on political issues for valid reasons and that taking sides where it is not the purpose of the church is to alienate a portion of that congregation for reasons having nothing to do with Christ and the gospel.

Encourage everyone to make informed decisions and vote. Or even get involved if they are inclined to go further. But where and how they do that is not a matter of Christian imperative.

That is not any kind of approval of the status quo. Besides, if we are to pray for the government, then that includes the one that is headed by Obama just as much as the previous one headed by Bush. And it would have included the one that could have been headed by a Mormon. Or a Hindu, Moslem, or atheist (thinking somewhat globally now, not just US-centric). There are cheers and jeers on all sides. And it may be the political preference of the individual. But it is not the way of the church.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote